Thursday, January 29, 2015

Return of The Mai Tai (Drinker)

Asking you to dim the lights because my creative juices have been hibernating for the last 8 months and my eyes need to adjust to the bright light.

Since we've spoken last I've turned 20. I've gotten a hair trim and a new laptop case. I've listened to more Louis CK and Raaaaaaaandy. I've formed better study habbits. I've gotten better at showing up to a party alone. I've become known for my Drew Barrymore impression. 

I have not worn my retainer regularly. I haven't formed a consistent sleeping pattern. I haven't landed an internship yet. I haven't joined any new clubs. I haven't become more spontaneous. I still haven't completely decided on a major (but honestly, who has?).

Times should be changing for me. But they aren't-- not that much. I still do the thing when you walk listening to music you imagine you're in a music video. I still get rejected when I try to say hi to people in passing. I still draw the little triangle dude that inspired my Driver's Ed teacher to tell me I should be a cartoonist (S/O to you, Mr. Wade).

What I'm saying is that while many things in my life are drastically different than the last time I wrote on this God forsaken "blog," I like to think much of myself has been preserved; probably by the grease of Cosmic Brownies and bubbles of Diet Coke.

My diet has also remained the same.

This all makes me think that the 14 year old me would probably size me up and ask two things: 1) Why haven't you changed and 2) Are you Team Edward or Team Jacob? I would respond with 1) I've learned being me is more fun than trying to fit a mold and 2) Unwaveringly, Team Jacob.

So no, I haven't really changed. I think I've just become more me. I think that's what the phenomenon of your twenty-something's is all about. Which makes me so excited for the next 10 years and all the years to follow.

Apologies for getting gooey-inspirational to everyone reading this-- yes all 3 of you! (Hi mom hi dad... Mackenzie.) But sometimes you just gotta say it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment